Money Mondays: Saving Under Social Security's Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS)
The Social Security Administration’s Plan to Achieve Self-Support (PASS) is a Work Incentive provision that can help people who receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and/or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of a disability to return to work.
The PASS program allows disability beneficiaries receiving SSI to save money, as well as things of value that an individual owns, to pay for items or services needed to achieve a specific work goal. PASS allows a person to set aside money (without affecting your benefits) for installment payments or a down payment on things like a vehicle, wheelchair or computer if needed to reach a work goal. If the goal is self-employment, a business plan is required.
If you are thinking about PASS, you will need to decide on a work goal and determine the items and services that you would need to achieve it. This can include supplies to start a business, school expenses, equipment and tools and transportation. You can receive help in setting up a plan from the following:
- A Ticket to Work Employment Network
- A Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) counselor;
- An organization that helps people with disabilities;
- Benefits Specialists or Protection and Advocacy organizations who have contracts with Social Security;
- Social Security PASS Cadres; and
- Local Social Security offices.
If you don’t know the location of your local Social Security office, you can use the field office locator.
Additional links about PASS:
- Elements of the PASS
- SSA Form 545 (PDF Format)
- PASS Cadres Location & Contact Information
- Video of PASS Success Stories (external site)
- A Guide to the PASS Application Form (SSA-545-BK) for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
Read more about money savings tips and financial wellness at #MoneyMondays!
Posted in Financial Literacy, Money Mondays: Your Path to Financial Independence | 4 Comments »
Can beneficiaries of Social Seruity be eledgable for this program (Pass)
Yes, if you are receiving SSI, then you can participate in the PASS program. Explore your options today and contact your local field office for more information.
If you receive SSDI and have been issued a "TICKET TO WORK", can you also complete a "PASS (PLAN TO ACHIEVE SELF-SUPPORT)"? I want to work to get out of debt, and qualify to buy a home someday.
Yes, you may participate in the PASS if you receive SSDI. We suggest you contact your local Social Security office or Social Security PASS Cadre for more information