Start Main Content

Money Mondays: More Tax Resources for People with Disabilities

Money Mondays logo

The deadline to file your taxes is Tuesday, April 15! Last month we listed a number of resources to help you or someone you know with a disability prepare and file their taxes. We know tax forms can seem daunting. You can use this information to help make filing taxes easier.

Did you know that many people with disabilities are eligible for special deductions? A deduction lowers your taxable income, meaning you pay less in taxes. Look at this list of tax credits and deductions for individuals with disabilities to see if there are any that apply to you!

  • Do you want help understanding what deductions you can make? Work Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) projects are community based organizations that provide advice to disability beneficiaries. To learn more about WIPA, click here.
  • If you find yourself unsure where to begin, the Interactive Tax Assistant  will walk you through a number of questions to help you determine how you can file, what you can deduct from your income, and whether you’re eligible for certain tax credits.
  • If you have a tax question that can’t be answered by phone or online, free Taxpayer Assistance Centers can provide you face-to-face assistance.
  • If you are looking for specific forms in text or braille formats, take a look at this list of all accessible IRS documents.
  • Finally, whether you prepare your taxes yourself, with a professional, or using an online service, make sure you deal only with people and organizations you trust. You can use these 10 tips to help protect your privacy while online.  If you decide to file online.

We hope you find this information helpful as the deadline to file your taxes approaches! If you need more in-depth counseling, you can always call the IRS directly.  

#Money MondaysRead more money savings tips and financial wellness at #MoneyMondays!


<< Return to Blog


ron says:
March 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I had a stroke, I want to work but I can't drive becase of it. What can I do?

Choose-Work-Blog-Staff says:
March 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Hi Ron, some Employment Networks (EN) as well as your state Vocational Rehabilitation agency (VR) can help coordinate accommodations, such as transportation. Alternatively, some ENs have work from home options, including National ENs that you can work with over the phone or by email. If the provider you’re meeting with doesn’t offer the services you need, you can use our Find Help search tool to find a list of ENs and your state VR agency which might be able to help you. You may need to do some research into the ENs to find out if they will prepare you for work at home positions. You can use our Find Help tool here: You can also use our Advanced Search feature in our Find Help tool and click on “Self-Employment/Business Start-Up” in the Services drop down menu to identify ENs who can help you. If you choose to contact the VR agency in your state, you should discuss with your counselor your needs. We encourage you to speak with one of our representatives at the Ticket to Work Help to learn what options are available. The number to call is 1-866-968-7842 (V) or 866-833-2967 (TTY) Monday through Friday from 8:00AM - 8:00PM ET.