man near a window, leaning on a crutch and talking on a cellphoneIf you are currently working while receiving Social Security disability benefits (SSDI/SSI), wage reporting is important to avoid overpayments from Social Security. Make sure you or your representative are reporting any changes in your work activity to Social Security. Learn what changes to your work activity Social Security needs to know and how you can report these changes.


Avoid Overpayments with Prompt Wage Reporting

Jul 13, 2023

man near a window, leaning on a crutch and talking on a cellphoneAs we've discussed in the past, reporting your wages is important to avoid overpayments from Social Security. An overpayment occurs when Social Security sends you a benefit payment higher than what you're eligible to receive. An important aspect of working while also receiving Social Security disability benefits is updating Social Security about your employment status and how much money you are earning. If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you or your representative must promptly report any changes in your work activity.

When to Update Social Security About Wages

You or your representative must tell Social Security right away if any of the following changes happens to your work activity:

  • You start or stop work.
  • You already reported your work, but your duties, hours, or pay have changed.
  • You start paying for expenses that you need for work due to your disability. For more information, refer to Impairment-Related Work Expenses.

How to Report Your Wages

You can report changes in your work activity by phone, fax, mail or by using a my Social Security account. Call the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or you may call or write to your local Social Security office. You can find your local office by going to the Field Office Locator.

If you receive SSDI or SSI benefits and have a my Social Security account, you may be able to report your wages online. If you receive SSI, Social Security also offers a toll-free automated wage-reporting telephone system and a mobile wage-reporting application. For more information about these electronic wage reporting methods, please visit the Spotlight on Automated Wage Reporting Tools or call the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) and ask how you can report wages using the system or application.

When you report changes in your work activity, Social Security will give you a receipt to verify that you have properly fulfilled your obligation to report. Save this receipt, along with your paystubs so that Social Security can verify your monthly earnings, and any deductions from allowable earnings.

About Ticket to Work

Social Security's Ticket to Work (Ticket) Program supports career development for people ages 18 through 64 who receive Social Security disability benefits and want to work. The Ticket Program is free and voluntary. The Ticket Program connects you with free employment services to help you decide if working is right for you, prepare for work, find a job or maintain success while you are working.

Learn More

To learn more about the Ticket Program, visit or call the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. Ask a representative to send you a list of service providers or find providers on your own with the Ticket Program Find Help tool.

You can also learn more by registering for a free, online Work Incentives Seminar Event webinar. Or, text TICKET to 1-571-489-5292 to receive Ticket Program texts. Standard messaging rates may apply, and you can opt out at any time.

Receive Blog Updates
  Opt in to receive information about the Ticket Program via text. Text the word "TICKET" to 1-571-489-5292